Saturday, January 19, 2013

Man's First Temptation

I read somewhere that man's first temptation was with food.

Hmmmm. That's right, although I'd never thought of it that way before.

Satan didn't even have to dangle double chocolate fudge brownies in front of Eve to get her to cave. He did it with a dumb old piece of fruit. Imagine what kinda shape we'd be in, ladies and gentlemen, if he'd had a brownie!

It seems we've struggled with our relationship with food ever since.

Sometimes there is not enough and people worry how they will feed their children, much less themselves.

Here, of course, there is way too much, and way too much of the bad kind.

But we are tempted. We eat it anyway. And we are a country of fatso slobs. I, myself, need to drop fifteen pounds. By drop, I mean make them disappear. With, like, you know, wishing.

We have more eating disorders than you can shake a stick at - and even those of us who do not have an eating disorder, think about, at least occasionally, how we really need to 'cut back' on some food or another. Most of us need to, want to, lose a few pounds.

Being physically disabled, I am unable to participate in a lot of exercise. Being from the South, I have a hard time not participating in anything fried.

But I am a much smarter eater than I used to be. I really don't eat many fried foods, I cook with olive oil, I eat a lot of raw green things. I don't eat as much bread as I used to, and I make my sandwiches with good old wheat bread and about  half the mayo I used to eat.

I've cut out 90% of soft drinks. Only rarely do I imbibe.

But, as Scarlett O'Hara is my witness, I will nevah, nevah, give up sweet tea!

Thank you, Lord, Satan ain't from the South!

No comments :

Post a Comment