Friday, January 11, 2013

I Digress

You know how one thing leads to another?

Trying to put away Christmas decorations can be disastrous. You get all the boxes drug in that are full of the stuff that goes on tables, hall tree, bookcase, mantel, blah, blah, blah, where Christmas stuff sets now.

Here's the trick. You have to have someplace to set all the regular stuff out of the boxes before you can put the Christmas stuff in the boxes.

But first, you have to get The Whites and Mimi off the top of the boxes. Even Lily, (our geriatric cat), gets in on the fun, squeezing her body into a box that does, indeed, make her butt look big. The boys, Frost and Eli are in a frenzy, each on a separate box. They are sticking their paws into the boxes, trying to see in the boxes, and sniffing the boxes to beat the band. Blink, and they've swapped boxes, frantically trying the same thing.

The Whites are big cats. Frost weighs sixteen cough, fat, pounds. Eli is a growing boy of around fourteen pounds. But he is lean and long, not an ounce of  - well, you know - on him.

Either way, it's hard on a box.

You shoo the cats away and you put all this regular stuff in the chairs and on the couch. The living room now  looks like we are preparing to have a yard sale and move.

Then the phone rings. It's, say, oh, I don't know - my mother.

Forty-five minutes later, the cats are back in place, sound asleep on top of and in boxes, daughter hasn't done a durn thing except get on the laptop (I'm waiting on you to tell me what to do, she says). And husband is in the recliner 'resting his eyes'.

Hoo, boy.

Of course, by now, everyone is getting  hungry, it's dinner time. Yes, I said dinner. That's the  mid-day meal in these parts of the woods. Tonight we'll have supper. Got that?  Good.

The kitchen is fairly unaffected by the decorations debacle, dinner is cooked, and my back is killing me. I go to lay my body down for twenty while daughter (who will NOT wait on me to tell her what to do, she's got this one down pat) cleans up the kitchen.

Now, it's mid-afternoon. I haven't written anything in the book I'm working on, I haven't blogged (hope you noticed), and a doctor's appointment stands in the way of getting anything else done. Daughter has to start on  school work, and husband needs to rest  his eyes.

Again.

You know how long it takes to go for a doctor's appointment, don't  you?

So, the evening and the morning were the first day.

No comments :

Post a Comment