Tuesday, January 29, 2013

There was Another Anniversary Yesterday

I saw on something or other that ten years ago yesterday was when Clay Aiken sang on TV for the first time, when we heard his audition for American Idol.

I remember him walking out and me groaning, feeling like he was going to be splattered all over the place. It was as though he was trying to look as awkward as possible. You could tell he was nervous. And when he spoke and had the same Southern accent as I do, I almost cringed.

But then he sang. I hollered at my  husband to come in the room. I said, "That boy may not win because of the way he looks, but you won't hear a better voice."

I was right. On both counts. Except there was all the hoopla saying that he really did win, if phone lines had been big enough to take all the calls.

His voice is one that actually does something to me. No matter how long I go without hearing him sing, the minute I do, it's like myself stands up and takes notice. I guess his voice speaks to me somehow. I've had other singers do that from time to time, but Clay Aiken is the only one who does it almost every time.

All my family likes his singing, and we have seen him perform live several times. He is a funny, down to earth young man that engages the audience in a way that makes you feel like you know  him. In fact, the one time I've actually talked to him, it was like talking to my nephew, who is close to the same age and uses the word "whatnot" all the time in speaking.

But then again, I have yet to be star struck. I've never wanted anyone's autograph or anything like that.

I had forgotten that I heard him sing for the first time on my wedding anniversary.

Anyway, music is a wonderful and mysterious thing. So many kinds, so  many singers, so many instruments out there, it leaves almost no one out.

Aren't you glad that the good Lord blessed us with this thing we call music?

I know I am.

No comments :

Post a Comment