Saturday, October 26, 2013

Makin' Up The Bed...With Help

First of all, let me say there is nothing worse than making up a bed while there is still body heat trapped under the covers. I mean, it seems to me the quilt is calling me to come back to bed.

But that's not what I'm blogging about today.

When Daughter was very small, she always wanted to help me do whatever it was I was doing, like making up the bed.

Now, if you've ever had a toddler "help" you, you understand that everything takes at least twice as long to do.

Of course, Daughter is grown (sorta) and I have to ask for her help. Twice, or thrice.

Her toddler kind of help has been replaced by cat help.

Usually, Lily suddenly appears when I start making up the bed. She sees this as an invitation to be petted. She's afraid if you reach down while she's on the floor, but if she is up level with you on the bed, she can't wait.

Then Frost jumps up, after hissing and growling at Lily, who looks at him as if to say, "You are one stupid cat, man. I am fully loaded and you are full of hot air."

Which is true.

Anyway, he sees this as an opportunity to stalk the snake that has suddenly appeared under the covers (his tail). He watches it closely, then slowly rises up on his back legs and pounces! Never catches the thing, because when he pounces, his tail whips out behind him and is gone. Alas.

He never tires of this and wants to do it over and over.

Then Eli joins the fray. His job is to watch the lint brush I use every morning on the foot of the bed where the small "cat" throw is, where one, two or three (even four if I'm very unfortunate) cats bed down for the night.

I have to watch Eli as closely as he is watching the lint brush, because the back and forth motion is irresistible to him, and if I ain't pretty quick, I'm liable to get slashed.

This equals about forty-five pounds of feline on top of the covers.

Try smoothing them out with that on top.

So, it's no wonder my bed looks like a wreck most the time. This is a better excuse than the real one, which is I have to lie down two or three times a day to rest my back and legs, so there's no reason to make it up "fancy". That only happens when company is coming and likely to go upstairs for something.

I know this has been an exciting blog for you.

I feel the excitement and the expectation of your venture out today to the nearest pet store to purchase at least three, if not four, cats.

At least, when I am a thirty years older and am officially the crazy cat lady, I won't be alone.

Hurry! The pet store closes at six on Saturdays.

No comments :

Post a Comment