Thursday, October 17, 2013

Bosom Buddies

My mother called yesterday to tell me that while she was looking for something else, she found a playbill from 1983, back when I was pretty heavily involved in community theatre.

As she  began to read the program's fun for the  night entertainment, and my involvement in it, my lips began to twitch.

What happened that night wasn't funny, but what I found other afterwards really was.

The show was a Broadway review type thing, with different small acts or songs. The duet  that I was involved in was the song "You Don't Bring Me Flowers" a Streisand/Diamond combo, extremely popular at that time.

My singing buddy was (and probably still is) a wonderful singer. He has one of those old Irish tenor voices that make you want to close your eyes and smile.

We were partnered together many times, because a: I am a soprano and b: we are both tall, he more so than me.  It's a no no for the female to loom over the male unless you are doing some kind of spoof.

Of course we had practiced this song, and had a little act to go with it. Those of you who remember the song knows that it is a lament about a couple who have lost romance in their relationship, hence, 'you don't bring me flowers anymore:

You don't bring me flowers 
You don't sing me love songs 
You hardly talk to me anymore 
When you come through the door 
At the end of the day 

I remember when 
You couldn't wait to love me 
Used to hate to leave me 
Now after lovin' me late at night 
When it's good for you 
And you're feelin' alright 
Well you just roll over 
And turn out the light 
And you don't bring me flowers anymore 

It used to be so natural 
To talk about forever 
But "used to be's" don't count anymore 
They just lay on the floor 
'Til we sweep them away 

And baby, I remember 
All the things you taught me 
I learned how to laugh 
And I learned how to cry 
Well I learned how to love 
Even learned how to lie 
You'd think I could learn 
How to tell you goodbye 
'Cause you don't bring me flowers anymore


I mean, ain't that pitiful?

The skit: we were getting ready for some kind of formal dinner, and he came grumping in as I was putting on the finishing touches of my make-up, being gruff and hateful, wiping the smile off my face.

I turned to him and said something to the effect that used to, he wouldn't have come fussing on me, but bringing me flowers.

Then, just like in the  movies, I burst into song instead of tears.

But toward the end, as we are facing each other, he takes a step closer to me, and I to him, the song ends with us singing the last line together, my hands on his chest, staring into each others eyes.

Sigh.

The music faded and stopped, and we stood frozen, waiting for the applause.

Which didn't come.

Our eyes widened as we looked at each other. My lord, were we that bad?

Then suddenly the room burst into applause, people leaping to their feet, the women wiping their eyes.

Whew. We were good, after all.

Of course, I couldn't wait to see the video of the song later. We always made sure all our productions were taped, and cast could purchase a copy if they wished.

The couple who directed this production got to see it first, and usually watched it as soon as they got  home, looking for rough spots, issues that maybe could be dealt with before another show.

She called me the next morning, and she was laughing so hard I could barely understand her. 

Seems that the young guy who filmed was very serious about his, uh, work.

Every time I sang, he would focus on my face, then the camera would slowly slide down to  my form fitting dressed bosom, occasionally zipping back up to my face with warp speed, then slowly sliding back down. 

He didn't seem to have a problem with the camera staying on my male partner's face when he sang.

I guess I was 'twice' as popular as planned.

And that's all I'll say about that!

They chastised him, of course, and decided not to release the video to the cast as it was a bit embarrassing.

I never did get to see the film, although I wanted to.

It isn't often you get double billing.



 

No comments :

Post a Comment