Saturday, October 19, 2013

Birds of a Feather Flock Together

Husband and I have been married almost twenty-nine years. (I can't believe this)

Throughout our courtship of three long months (shut up) and our subsequent marriage, we have often times stumbled on things that were very similar in our lives and interests when we were kids.

We both were maniacal marble collectors, so we have the odd jar brimming with marbles here and there in our house.

Superman was the only superhero as far as we were concerned.

We both sailed through school (he sailing more than studying by the looks of some of his report cards) until we hit abstract math.

We crashed and burned.

His parents are remarkably like my paternal grandparents. His mama's biscuits tasted just like my grandmother's did. And his daddy had a quirky way of reinventing words to suit him, as my grandfather did.

We've often shared erroneous thoughts we were sure were fact when we were children, and laugh that we believed some strange things.

We both loved music fervently, and still do, although most of the time it ain't the same kind of music.

We've discovered that twice our paths almost crossed (once as close as one office building between the two of us).

But I believe that God has perfect timing, and when we met, God took us slow through friendship. When I met Husband I never dreamed I would one day marry him. I just enjoyed him when I saw him. He was a funny guy.

I've often said that when I was married the first time for twelve loooong years, it felt as though I was living in a foreign land. I tried to fit in, I tried to do my best, but I was always struggling.

When Husband and I married, it was like coming home.

So, I'll leave you with this last bit of weird and true history.

When Husband was born, the first toy anyone ever gave him was an Indian brave doll.

When I was born, the first toy anyone ever gave me was an Indian little girl doll.


Strange, but true, ladies and gentlemen.

I guess it was just meant to be.

No comments :

Post a Comment