Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Soap Sally

I took a shower this afternoon, because the dear person who gives me massages agreed to come to my house to give me a massage, due to my continued illness.

I had not had a shower in, um, wow. Nor had my hair been washed.

Think  Don King.

Soap does wonders for a person.

Made me think back to when I was a child. I had a soap on a rope (raise your hand if you remember those). We had a big old claw foot tub that I had to be lifted into until I was about eight because the sides were so high. So once I was in, I stayed for a while.

I loved bubble bath, too. I remember I had some bubble bath that came in a container that looked like a whale. I played with that thing for years, long after the bubble bath was gone.

Of course, Ivory soap was the best because it floated! I would try to catch it and it would slip out of my hand, just like a fish. It's a wonder my mother let me play with it so much, it seems that sure wasted a lot of soap.

When you are a little kid, taking a bath with a buddy is fun too. Especially if the grown ups leave you alone until the whole bathroom is a lake from all the splashing.

You learn a lot about anatomy, too.

Which, come to think of it, leads to sharing the bath when you are a lot older (and married, of course!)

Of course, that only looks romantic in movies. In reality, unless you have a really biiiig tub, it's just uncomfortable. Ah well, another fantasy bites the dust.

Today, there are so many different brands of soap you could spend all day trying to figure out what you really want. I hate the ones that are gone after two showers because they were mostly lotion. But I don't want to bathe in lye soap either.

So, I usually go by smell. If I like the way it smells, I buy it.

Now shampoo, which is really just soap for hair, I am very picky about. Some of it just treats my hair better than others. Or so I imagine.

I guess I could think of all other kinds of soap too: dish soap, soap for the floors, dog shampoo, cat shampoo, shampoo for lice, carpet shampoo, etc.

But for  now, I'll close with this little story: When Husband was a little boy, if he behaved too badly, or if he got that twinkle in his eye saying he might roam too far from home, he was told he better beware of Soap Sally. She lived in the woods above their house. When she caught little boys, she turned 'em into soap. What fate worse for a little boy, I ask you? There is none!

Smile when you take your bath tonight and think of stories from when you were a child.

Just don't get any soap in  your eyes.

No comments :

Post a Comment