Saturday, June 22, 2013

A Girl After My Own Heart

When Daughter was a small child, she began having a lot of stomach problems. It stemmed from too many antibiotics during a severe illness. Her belly hurt when she ate, her belly hurt if she didn't eat. We did all sorts of things trying to make her better.

A doctor finally ordered a scan, wherein she had to fast all morning, then drink some chalky stuff while they took "pictures".

They asked me if I wanted to watch, and of course I said yes. I didn't want her to be alone for even a minute.

So I donned the leaded apron, stood behind a half wall, and watched them position Daughter behind the x-ray machine. They instructed her to drink steadily, which she did.

I watched the liquid trickle down her body as she drank.

And then I noticed something to the left. It looked like a tiny bird, fluttering against her ribcage.

I was looking inside my daughter, at her heart.

I burst into tears. In fact, I am tearing up now, just remembering it.

What a precious, magnificent sight. I wondered, how many mamas get to see their darling's heart, beating inside their chest? Not many, I suppose.

They found out what was wrong with her tummy and it was easily remedied with the right medication.
She was as good as new, and has never had another problem. She doesn't remember it very well, only that she hurt a lot and couldn't eat chocolate.

But it's something I'll never forget.

For who could ever forget seeing your own baby's heart, fluttering, alive and eager?

No comments :

Post a Comment