Thursday, June 20, 2013

Facing the Enemy

There are some enemies in one's life that you can ignore, at least for a while.

But if it is a true enemy, it will always come back. Eventually one must come face to face with the enemy and prepare for battle.

I've known for some weeks this was coming. Oh, the enemy has always been there, in the back of my mind. But it hasn't been a worry for me. Not until now.

As time has drawn nearer, my thoughts have been gradually coming back more often to this old enemy.

I remember when we were friends. One I relied on, always made me look good, as friends do, and never let me down.

But then, several years ago, things began to change. A slip there, an ugly look here. I tried to change to accommodate, but it has never been enough. And now there is nothing. Things have gone too far to ever think of having a good relationship ever, ever, again.

Unfortunately, we must be seen together in the future. I suppose I could avoid it, but it would be a real inconvenience for me and those around me. Avoidance would probably make me look as bad as going ahead and dealing with the situation.

So, yesterday, I went to the enemy. I knew exactly where to look, even though it had been several years.

We faced off. I shook my head. With trembling hand I reached out. We touched. Then we grappled and wrestled for control.

The enemy won. I was left in tears, remorseful, and of course, with the inevitable conclusion that I had been right all along. We would never be friends again.

Man, I hate bathing suits.

No comments :

Post a Comment