Friday, June 7, 2013

Every Year, Like Clock Work



There are some things, that when they happen, are forever etched in one's minds eye. You  may not remember what  happened just before, or even just after. But you never forget that moment.

One of those moments came for me on June 8, 1990 at 6:00 p.m. I was just finishing up in the kitchen when the phone rang. 

It was the director of the adoption agency telling me that "a little baby girl  had been born last night". She didn't have to say anything else. Because I knew, with every fiber of my being, I had just become a mama. 

Oh, there had been inquires before, phone calls asking for information about us, etc. They all seemed exciting, but not real. 

This? This was real.

I remember walking out to the front porch where Husband was sitting on the steps with our Boxers. I told him about the phone call. He turned and looked at me, eyes wide, and said, "This is it, isn't it?"

Yes, yes this was 'it'.

Daughter had been born just before midnight, and we worked, so the agency had waited until we got home to call. I guess she figured it only fair we know at the same time.

Well, any of you out there that is a parent, knows your life changes in that instant, and never changes back.

We don't know what we're getting into. But we do know, once we are into it, there's no going back. There's nothing to compare it to, no fear, no joy, no frustration, no fierce love like it.

I guess that's the way God feels about us.

Happy Birthday, Daughter: I love you more than life.




2 comments :

  1. I honestly had no idea that she was adopted.

    Makes me extra lucky to have her in my family.

    David S H Bishop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Isn't it funny how there are things in our families that everyone takes for granted everyone else knows, then turns out to be a surprise? You were so small when she was born, I can see how all that passed you by. We are very blessed to have her, aren't we?

      Delete