Friday, March 1, 2013

Movie Moments

There are movies that I have seen throughout my life that have had "moments". Moments where I have been touched, stunned, angered, awed, amused or saddened beyond what a movie should be able to do.

I came up with my top ten. You  may disagree. You may have not seen some of these movies. That's okay. If you want to do it differently, you certainly may. On YOUR blog.

Okay,  here we go:

1. My favorite movie of all time is "To Kill A Mocking Bird". The most powerful moment for me is at the end of one scene where Atticus has done all he can defending his case. The courtroom has emptied, except for the balcony and Atticus, who is putting all his papers in his briefcase.

The balcony is full of the black townspeople, and both of Atticus's children, Jem and Scout.

Atticus never raises his head as he starts out of the courtroom. But in twos or threes or one by one, the people in the balcony start to stand. Scout is on  her knees, watching her daddy through the railing. A dignified gentleman, who is standing by her, looks at her and says, "Miz Scout, stand up." She looks confused, but does as he asks. Then he says, "Your father is passing."

Gives me chill bumps right now.

2. "Gone With The Wind": Prissy has just disclosed that in spite of popular belief, she is not an ob/gyn. She gets slapped for her truthfulness because Ashley's wife (the last man with that name, it got changed to a girl name, somehow), Melanie, is in labor and not doing well at all.

Scarlett goes in search of the doctor. The camera pans out, and we are suddenly exposed to wounded, dying, and dead soldiers as far as the eye can see. There seems to be no end to them. The flag, tattered and worn, is waving in the forefront.

It made war real to me, for the first time in my  life.

3. "Hook": Peter is all grown up and doesn't remember that he is really Peter Pan. He has developed a fear of flying, but is going to take a plane ride to England for Wendy's big birthday to-do. He is at his office and everyone is comforting him and telling him everything will be all right. Peter (played by Robin Williams) steps into the elevator and someone tells him not to worry, he wont' go till it's his time to go. Peter, deadpan, says, "But what if it's the pilot's time to go?" and the elevator doors close.

But my favorite "moment" part of this movie is once again a panning out of the camera. Peter's kids are kidnapped by Hook and he goes back to Never Never Land to save them. He is an out of shape, middle aged guy. And what he sees before him is an endless supply of pirates and ships. It instantly reveals to the viewer the hopelessness Peter is feeling.

4. "Out of Africa": my moment here (and I'll have to take another) is when Redford washes Streep's hair. Whew!



5. And speaking of Robert Redford:  "The Sting": The moment comes at the end. Well, you think it's the end, when everyone is lying there in pools of blood, deadern a doornail. But then the real end occurs. Very, very cool.

6. "Steel Magnolias": When all the ladies are leaving the graveyard after burying Shelby. And M'Lynne, Shelby's mama, played by Sally Fields (who, by the way, is one of the greatest actress of our time and for some reason nobody acknowledges this!), goes nuts. She begins to weep and wail and in the theatre you could hear everyone weeping right along with her. I may have sobbed out loud. And when she ends her rant with she just wants to  hit someone so they might feel as badly as she, Ouiser is offered up for the usage, and suddenly, one is laughing as hard as one is crying. Great moment.

7. "E. T.": The death scene. Not a dry eye in the house.

8. "The Princess Bride": The wedding is about to take place. The cathedral is stately, huge, impressive. The Princess and the Prince look like small dolls as the camera pans in. The Bishop stands before them, dressed in his red and gold robes, the great hat-thingy on his head making him look seven feet tall. You can hear a pin drop in this serious moment. The Bishop (played by Peter Cook) looks at them solemnly and then says, "Mawwidge: Twue love " who knows what else he says. I was laughing so hard at this I couldn't hear more.

9. "The Nativity": This rather dark and serious telling of the Christmas Story is very moving and realistic. There are many moments in it, but the "moment" for me is when Joseph and Mary are traveling to Bethlehem and they are both exhausted. Joseph has kept Mary on the donkey and he has walked. When they settle for the night, Mary sees his poor feet. Regardless of her exhausted state and her large, pregnant self, she gets water and begins to wash Joseph's feet.

What struck was the depth of symbolism. Her servant's heart, her kindness and love...I think she taught her son, The Son, well.  I cried.  I do believe the Father was well pleased with this movie. I know it wasn't biblical, but man, it was biblical.

10. "The Wizard of Oz": Okay, I admit there isn't a moment in this movie, the movie itself was the moment for me, every year. When I was a child, the movie came on one Sunday night a year, and it was as exciting for me as any holiday. The movie mesmerized me, terrified me, held me spellbound every time. And when I was older and saw the  movie turn from dull black and white into brilliant color, when Dorothy opened the door to Oz, why, I could have been delightfully knocked over with a feather.

It was the perfect cherry on top.

That's my ten. What are yours?

2 comments :

  1. Not in any particular order, these are some of my favorite movies (some are not family appropriate):
    Steel Magnolias
    Tender Mercies
    Love Song for Bobby Long
    Fried Green Tomatoes
    Persuasion
    Pride and Prejudice
    Little Miss Sunshine
    I'm sure there are more - I just can't think of them right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just now saw your reply! (or maybe I did a long time ago and forgot!) but there are so many great movies! I know what you mean - how can we think of them all??

      Delete