Monday, February 4, 2013

Never on Wednesday

Wednesday I will be far too busy to blog.

I will have Bible study in the morning, a massage directly afterwards, dinner, a quick rest, and then AWANA at church, where I do counsel time with the kids. 

That is, of course, if it doen't sleet, hail, snow, freeze ice, or tornado conditions pop up.

That's why I almost never blog on Wednesdays. But I'll also be preparing for Thursday, which of course, as you all know, is my birthday.

Ahem.

Well, now you know.

How could I be this old? I mean, as far as I know, I've been here for the whole thing (well, except when I was asleep during back surgery, and who wants to be present for that?).

I look back  on childhood events (mine, not my daughter's) and they are clear as a bell. I can close my eyes and smell the inside of my grandfather's car. I can feel the way the skinny, big steering wheel felt in my tiny  hands, and the button you pushed called the starter. I remember sitting in the back seat with my feet sticking out in front of me, and dreaming about the day my legs would be long enough to bend and my feet hit the floor. He sold that car when I was eight or nine.

I can hear the church bell that rang every Sunday morning and woke me up from summer slumber. And I have fond memories of the man who rang that bell and gave chewing gum to all the little ones. He was the only  man who actually wanted to stay in the nursery on  Sundays.

I can see the town as it was, not as it is.

My own daughter was born "just yesterday". I've explained to her the reason it is so hard for  parents to turn loose of their children is because we remember all of them. The them that couldn't hold up their head, didn't have a tooth to their name, and couldn't have walked if their lives had depended on it. Because their lives depended on us.

Building our new house - that was yesterday, wasn't it? Or was it twenty-six years ago? Eh, same difference.

And I wont' believe it if you tell me my daughter has been out of high school almost five years. And that I've been out forty. HA! You  must be talking about my mother. 

Yes, my friends are looking old. They are under a lot of stress, that's all. And I'm supposed to be looking old, being a dang cripple and all.

My tiny, tiny premature nephew will NOT be turning twenty-nine next month. He's about three, isn't he? So what if he has a little one himself.

And  my baby brothers are pushing fifty. Some babies they are. But I remember the day they were born, and believe you  me, nobody was expecting twins, especially our mother.

I guess there's no way to hold on to any given moment, they are wisps that slip through our fingers the second they occur. 

But we can be sure and remember them.

So, you'll excuse me if I don't blog on Wednesday. 

I have a lot to do, you see.

No comments :

Post a Comment