Monday, February 11, 2013

I'm a Bookaholic

Anyone who knows me very well knows I'd rather read than eat.

 Unless I'm hungry, of course.

I remember wanting to read, and the first books to influence my life were the "Dick and Jane" series, which taught me to read by the  method of memorization. Worked great, I might add.

I remember being around seven and seeing this fat book in the children's section and my heart rate kicked up. Could it be? Could there be a big book I could read? It was "The House at Pooh Corner" by A. A. Milne. I was indeed allowed to check it out and take it home.

I thought  I had arrived.

The next book that stands out in my memory is one that changed my life. At least my reading life. "Tom's Midnight Garden" by Philippi Pearce is about 'time-slippage', or what we would call today time travel. This is my most favorite book of all time, and I read it to my cousin, my brothers, my daughter, and even did it by chapter as an afternoon group at work.

I've been hooked on time travel books ever since. There are wonderful ones, (Diana Gabaldon, where is that next 'Outlander' series book?), and some very bad ones, which of course shall remain nameless.

Stephen King captured my attention with "Salem's Lot", but the best he ever has done is "The Stand".

There are precious books, books I wouldn't trade, (even for food), one of a kind books that, after I read, can't wait to call my friend and say "You have GOT to read this one!"

I have a list of my favorites, and I share them with anyone who asks.

With my physical limitations, I truly don't know what I'd do without my good friends, books.

It puts a dreamy look on my face, right now, as I think about the four new library books husband brought to me just a few hours ago.

See ya later, I got stuff to do!

No comments :

Post a Comment