Friday, March 6, 2015

Frightening Book!

Daughter gave me a book for my birthday, and I am reading it.

It has me on the edge of my seat with anxiety.

Not because of the mystery, for it is a mystery book. It's not because of mystery trap doors in an alleged haunted house, missing keys, hidden passages, etc. It's because of the mother.

She has seven year old twins. She goes shopping in a four story department store, and she tells the children to look about the store while she shops for linens. They go off on their on. They are Seven. Years. Old.

After school, they leave and run about town with their siblings, who are also twins, age ten.

The kids all ramble around this deserted house, while a burglar is lurking. One of the children falls down the steps and is unconscious. No one calls an ambulance, or tells the parents. Instead one of the older kids goes back into the school and gets a wet towel to put on the unconscious child's forehead. The child, while in the schoolhouse, mentions it to the principal, who also does nothing.

There's a school bully who throws rocks and actually hits one of the kids in the head. Since no one will confess, no one gets in trouble, even though the teacher knows who did it. As far as I know, there is no sharing of this information with the parents.

See what I mean? Where is DFACS dealing with the neglect these children are suffering? Where are EMT's ambulances, etc. while a child lies unconscious? Where is school involvement with bullying?

I'm telling you, "The Bobbsey Twins of Lakeport" is making me a nervous wreck.

I don't know if I"ll be able to finish reading it; it's just too horrifying and hard on my nerves.

No comments :

Post a Comment