Thursday, March 19, 2015

Earning a Buck

Do you remember the person from whom you earned your first money?

When I was five or six, the man my mother worked for decided to move his store up three doors in town. The building was much bigger, and he planned on expanding, having a nice shoe store addition. 

He sat a small red wagon in front of me, and asked if I would haul extra hangers from the old store to the new. I eagerly accepted and day dreamed all day about what I was doing. I had a vivid imagination, and the day was filled with all sorts of exciting trips and adventures.

At the end of the day, he presented me with the wagon, saying I had worked hard and had earned it.

I remember being so full of joy I could hardly stand it! I had no idea I would be rewarded at all, much less with this wonderful, magical wagon.

He said I had earned it!

I didn't have a job until after I graduated  high school. Working after school wasn't as popular as it is now, most kids went home to snacks, chores and TV. 

Of course, I really did have a job, but it didn't pay. That job was the babysitter of The Brother of Many Surgeries and the Other Brother so they wouldn't kill each other or tear the house down. Well, maybe it did pay - as in "you'll pay!",  but whatever.

My first job was for two weeks, stocking a new store before it opened. 

That fall, I got the first 'real' job, and worked for thirty-one dad blamed years.

But no matter what the raise,  no matter what the perk, no matter what the benefit offered, nothing ever touched the thrill of that little red wagon.

No comments :

Post a Comment