Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas Eve Past

Looking back on all the Christmas Eves of my life (and there are many), I tried to remember what, well, what I remember most about Christmas Eve.

As a child, of course, it was anticipation of Santa coming. Giddy, magical anticipation.

When I got a little older, I 'helped' parents get ready for this event for my two baby brothers.

Then I sort of go blank about Christmas Eve for the most part, unless something memorable happened, like the flying squirrel coming down the chimney at midnight.

Of course, after Daughter was born, I was back to anticipation: putting everything just right under the tree, making sure Santa ate a bite or two of cookie and drank some milk, made sure the reindeer ate some of their feed, and finally sleeping with grown up pleasure that all was right with my Daughter's world.

There have been some very memorable Christmas Eve services, too. Candle light, sharing in the Lord's Supper, beautiful music, the Christmas story that saved my hide from Hell.

So, to wrap it up (no pun intended), I can say this about Christmas Eve: it is filled with anticipation.

May your evening be full of love, magic, appreciation, and yes, anticipation.

Merry Christmas.

No comments :

Post a Comment