Monday, November 18, 2013

What's That On Top Of Your Head?

I got  my hair done today. (And you thought this couldn't possibly be such an interesting blog!)

I left home at 1:30 and got back home at 4:00. Of course there was a side trip to the garage because of a little engine light concern, but never mind that.

And, of course, I had to eat chicken fettachini in the middle of getting my hair rolled.

And the trip is an hour, if you count both ways.

So, let's say it took an hour and  a half for my hair to cook and be curly all the way to the roots again.

That got me to thinking. How long do you think women spend on their hair a year? Curling, straightening, cutting, adding extensions, coloring it darker, bleaching it lighter, shampooing, conditioning, drying, styling, moussing, spritzing, spraying, fluffing and who knows what else I've left off, like teasing, pleading and begging.

And this doesn't even count talking to each other about our hair and what goes on or does not go on with it. And looking through style magazines and websites.

And we have to contend with our husbands going on and on about our hair, so that takes an additional, what, five minutes a year?

(When I mentioned my hair was dyed brown when we got married to get rid of the frosting I hated, Husband said, and I quote, "Your hair was brown when we got married? Huh.")

How long do you think men take a year doing and thinking all things regarding their own hair?

Now, I know some boys spend an enormous amount of time, but it's usually a phase, and the next time you see them their hair is back to its normal color and it's short. Because, they tell you, that other stuff was too much trouble. (I believe the whole stage was more about independence and rebellion than it was about hair, anyway.)

And men, as they get older and get balder, do seem to obsess about that, and may spend extra money on stuff that guarantees hair thickening magic. But they go bald anyway, then they shrug their shoulders and shave their head.

So, what's the deal with us females? It's not learned, we are born that way. I mean, little biddy girls go around wanting stuff in their hair, want it braided or brushed.

Maybe it's because, as the Bible says, it is our crowning glory, I don't know.

But I do know it's not to please our man. Not really. (see above)

I think it's about looking good for other women and also maybe trying to obtain some look that in our head would make us prettier. Or younger.

I wish I was brave enough to say the heck with it, cut it really short and forget about it.

But you know what?

I just can't.

No comments :

Post a Comment