Saturday, November 16, 2013

Speaking of Time Travel...

I have always been fascinated with time travel. I read a book in fourth grade (which is still my favorite book) and it involved time travel.

I read every book of fiction I can get my hands on about time travel. Some of them are really, really good books.

According to quantum physics (maybe, I don't claim I'm right), Time is a straight line, and if you could stand outside of it, you could see everything going on at the same time - past, present and future.

Warning: Rabbit trail - That sort of explains how we can have free will and God still know everything that we will do. He stands outside of time, and if He is looking down on time, so to speak, He could see it all occurring.

Anyway, in theory, if one could learn how to manipulate time, we could travel within it. That could come in really handy if we go off the grid.

'Off The Grid' is the new catch phrase (to me, anyway). It means everything technical will collapse and your cell phone will become a paper weight and your computer will be even more useless than it is now, if you can believe that.

But if we go off the grid and some nerd is bored so badly because of this he figures out time travel, we could go back and reminisce about what it feels like to have air conditioning when it's 90 degrees outside and all your bedrooms are upstairs.

I've always thought it would be neat if I could go back and watch my grandfather as a child, living close to where I live right now. He might have even walked this land. I know the Cherokee did, we found an arrowhead.

Wouldn't it be fun to see how the forests here looked before everyone began chopping them down?

Or watch your daddy ask your mother to marry him?

Or see yourself as a newborn?

Of course, if we could travel back, we could also travel forward. But I ain't too keen on that. I think the future needs to stay cloaked in mystery unless the good Lord shows us something.

And when He does that, it always means some hard work for me.

But maybe the most useful thing to do with time travel would be to have the opportunity to say I love you, or I'm sorry when you didn't at the time you should  have.

So, just in case time travel never shakes down, may I take a moment to say to those near and dear to me: I love you.

And if I've ever hurt you, I am sorry.

No comments :

Post a Comment