Friday, February 12, 2016

Speak Up!

I had the privilege of being the guest speaker at the Genealogy Society in our county yesterday.

It had been iffy- the weather, my back, my mother's health - but the stars aligned or whatever, and I got to do it.

I read from two of my books (Out on a Limb of the Family Tree and The Year of Nine: Where the Rain Begins). The audience and I interacted some, comments, questions, that kind of thing. 

Then I read a bit from the novel I am currently writing.

You know what's fun?

When everybody laughs in the right place. When you have to pause while they laugh.

Makes my heart sing.

I sold a few books, too. That was icing on the cake.

We of Appalachia, and really, we of human race, have such a connection to one another. Much of that shows up in humor. Laughing together as a group does something to the world. 

Maybe our politicians need to be forced to go somewhere and listen to a good story teller that will make them laugh, shed a tear, and feel connected to each other and to the rest of the world.

You never know; but something has gotta give.

No comments :

Post a Comment