Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Things That Go Bump

I arrived at the book club yesterday just barely on time.

Most folks were already seated around the table, so I rushed over to take my place.

I was given some punch, I sat down, then proceeded to scoot my chair forward, slamming my knee into the two inch thick slanted board than ran the width of the table, acting as the leg.

If I had been at home, I would have cried out, bawled like a baby, held onto my knee and howled.

But, being embarrassed, I blinked rapidly to hold back tears, calmly picked up my punch and sipped, and held my knee with my other hand.

Before too long, I forgot about it.

As far as I know, no one noticed. They probably thought it was just a minor earthquake or a nuclear blast, and weren't worried about it. After all, we were in a bookstore, and nobody knows those exist anymore, right? So what safer place could you be?

I vaguely remember hobbling a little worse to the car, but not enough to register. After we ate, I was browsing in the store, when a sharp pain went straight up my back whenever I put  my right leg down. I remember mentally rolling my eyes and thinking, "What now?"  We left fairly soon, and came home.

After the hour drive home, when I got out of the car, I was in a lot of pain in my knee when I walked. I grumbled to myself that my knees were one of the few things that rarely hurt, and why was my stupid knee hurting?

The longer I stayed up, the worse it got, until I finally complained to Husband. He innocently asked, "Have you hurt it?"

"No - " Then the light bulb came on and I remembered hitting it!

What color is my hair again?

I proceeded to pull up  my britches leg to inspect my knee.

I didn't know you could even get a pump knot on your knee cap.

Well, ice has been applied, over and over.

It woke me up when I would straighten my leg out in my sleep. It hurts to walk this morning.

I'd cuss if it'd do any good.

So far, nothing else has.

No comments :

Post a Comment