Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Spring in the South

I don't think I ever feel more deeply "southern" than when I'm sitting on my back porch. I think a porch brings to mind lazy days, ice tea, bare feet, wicker, ceiling fans turning slowly in the breeze, and of course, gossip.

Bless their hearts.



I was always a tree climber and sitter when I was a kid, and God has sweetly allowed me to have a back porch that sits up in the trees.



I feel like I have my own tree house.

It's not a big porch, but it's big enough for a little trickling pond, lots of plants, and a visiting bird  now and then.



If I'm quiet and still enough, birds will alight within touching distance. It seems once they get used to you being there, they aren't very afraid.

I've seen a Scarlet Tanager  that just about made me faint. And Rose-breasted Grosbeaks. And humming birds, of course.

I hear the cry of the Cooper's Hawk, the caw of the Crow, the laugh of the Piliated Woodpecker, and the sough of the breeze in the trees.

I smell the forest.

Our God Our Father is everywhere. I can read His Holy Word on that porch and hear Him clearer than anywhere else.

I itch for warm weather so I can get out there to "sit a spell", and I stay until fall gets so cold I have to come in and light a fire instead.

But if you are bored or lonely, come on over. We'll sit a spell, drink some tea and listen. You can take off your shoes, lean back and do nothing.

You know you want to. You know you need it.

Bless your heart.

No comments :

Post a Comment