Friday, May 23, 2014

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words

You know how some pictures you see  bring back a flood of memories, while others do not?

I remember seeing a video (reel to reel, honey. We are talking the old days). It was taken at the tag end of some of my first wedding, which took place in 1972. In 1973 we went on a cross country trip with those same people, and he just continued the reel.

About a dozen years later, I got to see the "movie" for the first time. I remembered after the wedding film. But when it switched to the next year and we are all walking around a fish hatchery, I was astounded.

Why?

Because I had no memory whatsoever of being at a fish hatchery.

Still gives me the creeps.

Was I so bored I just blanked it out?

I guess I'll never know.

But then there are pictures that take you right back to the moment.

Like wedding pictures, baby pictures of my one and only chick, that kind of thing.

But I ran across a photo the other day, which is a pretty ordinary picture:
It is late winter. I am thirty-two years old. I have worked all day and grabbed up our then-delivered-to-the-door Atlanta Journal-Constitution newspaper.

I'm sitting at a desk we had just purchased to go in our being-built house.

I knew after we moved in and had a house payment, we wouldn't be able to afford furniture, so I was buying  up pieces I knew I wanted. And I knew exactly where I wanted each piece. Husband would say, "But how do you know it will fit?" or "How do you know that's the right color?"


I just knew.

And I was right!


Everything fit perfectly, everything was the right color.

Picture this: my Victorian Cottage may be small but it is a gift from God. He allows me to live in a home I was privileged to design, decorate and reside in.

Now, that's a pretty picture for you.

No comments :

Post a Comment