Friday, May 2, 2014

Ain't That Peculiar

I've seen a lot of peculiar things in my life.

After all, I went to Underground Atlanta in the seventies.

I remember once, standing with my feller and another couple, watching an organ grinder with a monkey.

There was one there when I was a little girl, too. I wonder if it was the same man and monkey.



Anyway, you know the routine; the man plays the organ, the monkey "dances", then runs up to every one with his little hand out. You put a coin in his hand, he tips his hat, and runs back to the man, who takes the coin and gives the monkey a treat.

On that particular day, the monkey held his hand out to a young woman. She bent down to give the monkey his coin and her bosom fell out of her low cut dress. Both of 'em.

Let's just say the monkey was the only one unaffected by this little display.

A few years back I came upon an old beat up pick up truck parked on the side of the road. The driver was a just-past middle age fellow, who was propped up against the side of his truck. His belly swelled appreciatively under his well worn overalls, and his work boot shod feet were crossed at the ankles. He was talking on a cell phone.

I did a double take. Some of you may remember that cell phones are a new thing, and when I saw this scene most people still had "car phones", if that.

At that time in history it was truly a peculiar thing.

More recently on the peculiar scene:

Coming home from the doctor in Atlanta a few weeks ago, we were driving on the interstate and saw an old Ford Ranchero up ahead. It was between a robin's egg blue and a teal.



It had a California license plate.

As we got even with the car, I saw the driver. She was a very young Chinese woman.

She had on an Amish cap. You know the kind I speak of. They are always set a certain way on the head with the ties hanging straight down on each side of the face.

Except instead of being white or brown as the "plain" people wear it, hers was Kelly green.

Go figure.

I pondered on this for a while. Old, restored car. Young, pretty Chinese girl. Amish cap in Kelly green.

Yep, California, all right.

Makes one wonder what peculiar thing one will see next.

No comments :

Post a Comment