Friday, May 31, 2013

There Are Places I Remember...

We used to live on a dirt road that you had to turn off a dirt road that you had to turn off a dirt road again to get to our house. There were hundreds of acres surrounding us, with only one house that we couldn't see and a partially built garage apartment that we had to strain to see, and to which no one ever came.

There were over 600 acres for our dogs and Husband to romp around in.

Although the trip to town logged in at just over five miles, it took close to a half hour to get there because of the roads.

Anytime we had company, they would get out of their cars with a wild look in their eye, appearing somewhat disheveled. They would slam their car door (which now had new rattles) and exclaim, "Why in the $#@! did you build a house way out here?"

We now live on a paved road. Although the distance to town is the same, it takes about twelve minutes to get there. I would venture to say there are over one hundred houses on our road alone, although, thankfully, we can't see any of them but one.

We haven't moved out, civilization has moved in.

I hate cars zooming by at all hours. I hate that our dog can't even go in the  yard by herself. I hate that I can't go on the front porch in my gown-tail. I hate not having all this to ourselves.

I love no more dust from the road. I love getting to town quickly.

I obviously have a love/hate relationship going on here that I can't seem to resolve.

Maybe I need to see somebody.

No comments :

Post a Comment