Monday, May 13, 2013

My Mini-Me

Talking about Daughter in my last blog made her sound like she was my mini-me. Well, she ain't. She has many differences, too.

The funny thing is, I always attribute those differences like my mother did mine. I tower over my mother and was even with my Daddy's height. "You get being so tall from the James' side of the family," She'd tell me.

For instance, with Daughter:

She is much smaller boned than I, like my mother.

She has very skinny feet that are almost impossible to buy shoes for, like my cousin Donna.

See what I mean?

Why can't we say about all our children:  They are who they are, they are themselves. We can't do it! Maybe it has something to do with claiming them, I don't know.

How else is Daughter different?

She gets over anger much faster than I. (which I admire)

She is the Princess of procrastination. (which I detest)

Sometimes she can look at something with a different eye and make a perfect suggestion that I haven't been able to see.

She has a tender heart in a different way than I do.

She has more 'go' in her than I have ever had. By that I mean "Did somebody say go? I'm ready."

But whether like me or very different from me, thank God, she's still my young'un.

I wrote a poem many years ago, and the last lines go like this:

She may not have my blood in her veins, 
Or my genes to influence her start,
But she has something far more important that reigns,
She has every inch of my heart.

Indeed.

No comments :

Post a Comment