Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Fox Trot

We've had a fox suddenly appear at our house. He is mostly grey, with some red on him. I guess he comes from a bi-racial marriage.

Daughter was throwing out scraps from the second story porch and happened to look down before doing so, and there he was, munching on apple peels. We all watched him from above, as he kept looking back into the woods, as though being called back. But the appeal of the apple peels was too much, and he came right back to continue munching until they were all gone. 

He has now done that several times. Sometimes we see him, sometimes we don't. 

The other day I looked out the bay window in the kitchen and there he was at the edge of the wood eating popcorn we'd thrown out for the crows. He also munched on french fries and one peanutbutter cracker. 

In a little while, Daughter saw him trotting up the road like a little dog, and we've seen him do that once more. 

It's not like he's tame, exactly, and he doesn't look sick at all - in fact, I think he's putting on weight - no surprise there, considering what he is eating. 

It thrills me to see him, as I've only caught glimpses of fox in my life. Once I was coming home and saw something run across the road into the grass on the other side. At first I thought cat, then no, too dog-like. So I stopped when I got even with the place I'd seen them run to, and up popped two fox kits. They were red, with the beautiful black stockings. They looked at me, then began tumbling about with one another, unconcerned about my car. It was delightful.

On the other hand, our visiting fox concerns me, too. I don't want someone to kill him thinking he's rabid, or just for sport. 

I don't want someone to try to get close to him and get attacked, either. He's little - smaller than our cats - but I bet he's got some sharp teeth.

We have been warned because of the news reporting the fox coming out of the woods and biting two kindergartners on the playground last week, somewhere in the metro area. I'm willing to bet that fox is rabid. 

Daughter has named our fox George Clooney, who played the voice of a fox in the movie, "Fantastic Mr. Fox".

Me? I'm just hoping he keeps the bear run off.

No comments :

Post a Comment