Friday, May 3, 2013

Such Stuff as Dreams are Made of

Last night I dreamed that Hop Sing resigned as cook for the Cartwright family.

I know a lot of you don't have a clue as to who these people are, but those of you who do, are asking themselves right now: "Why the heck do I keep reading this stuff!"

Wait, it gets better.

I dreamed my mother decided to get a facebook page and somehow accidentally erased mine (you thought I was gonna say read my blogs! HA!) I was upset over losing all my pictures.

Night before last, I dreamed we were adopting a baby girl. It was kind of sudden and my brother and his wife were helping us round up baby furniture and stuff. I went to work (with the baby) and told my boss I was going to have to be off for a while.

The baby was having to sleep between Husband and me.

And the baby never made a sound or caused any disturbance.

This is how I knew it was a dream.

My brother has recently had surgery. My cat has recently had surgery. The cat immediately came home and started ripping out her stitches. We had to get a collar, or more commonly known as "the cone of shame" to fasten around her neck so she couldn't get to the stitches.

Somehow in  my dream life I got this mixed up, and  my very macho mechanic brother was in a collar, but it looked more like those frilly Elizabethan collars that Queen Elizabeth wore.

I have given strict instructions to Husband and Daughter that if Brother, or anyone resembling Brother, pulls up to my house to secure the house locks, and run.  He says he doesn't read my blog, but his wife does, and out loud much of the time apparently, as he knows contents of blogs he 'doesn't' read.

Some years ago I dreamed I was standing in line waiting to purchase tickets. Don Knotts was standing behind me, and he kept grabbing my - er - posterior. I was getting more and more irritated by the minute.

Finally I turned to Mr. Knotts and said, "If you do that one more time, I'm telling my husband, and he's no Barney Fife!"

So, there.

Some people say they can't remember anything they dream. Some people say they dream in black and white. Cats dream, dogs dream, maybe all animals dream.

I have a  very vivid, technicolor dream life. My children's book, "The Crow and The Wind" was written based on a dream.  The novel, "Out on a Limb of the Family Tree" has three or four scenes straight from my dream life.

Being a therapist in my former life, I can easily analyze some dreams. For instance when our center was in turmoil and I was having more and more responsibilities given me (read: dumped on me), I dreamed one night that there were all these crises happening, a woman was in labor, secretaries were fighting, a doctor was cracking up, and then our clinical psychologist runs in and tells me there's a man in the parking lot I need to save. I look out the window, and there's this scrawny crazy man dressed up in a Superman costume on the top of a transfer truck threatening to jump.

Interpretation: I couldn't get my job done because there were too many "fires" to put out, everyone depended on  me to help them, and I was expected to even step out of my job duties and save those beyond my reach (and maybe who should have been saving me, as in "Help! Superman!").

I have had a few that I believe were straight from God, not really dreams, in fact distinctly different, more giving direction or information.

I have waked myself up, laughing out loud, sobbing out loud, yelling out loud, all because of dream content.

Dreams are really neat, huh.

No comments :

Post a Comment