Monday, November 19, 2012

When People Brag on Your Baby

Of all the things I've written, "Out on a Limb of the Family Tree" has my heart, because it is about my people.

My heart's desire, of course, is for it to be loved and cherished by other people, as I do.

And people are  beginning to say the things about this book I have longed to hear. My favorite new word is 'hilarious'. I've had several people calling me, instant messaging me, e-mailing me.  They might text me, if I texted.

Don't get me wrong. Every time any book sold at the book signings, I was a happy camper. When people have been calling since and asking to meet me to buy  books, or where they can purchase  them if they're in town, no matter which book it is, I'm still happy. VERY happy.

The book signings went well, the one at the library exceptionally well. Lots of people, lots of sales, lots of laughter and stories shared. Good times, indeed.

First time I ever got kicked out of a library.

(Okay, well, they were trying to close, but the above statement sounds so tuff.)

This blog is a thank you note for the people who support me. Through encouragement, through being there for me, for buying my books. Our family has showed up to every single thing, and my  husband does his best to help  me entertain customers. My daughter was my accountant and was a whiz at adding, collections, sales and chatting, all at the same time.

Some friends and I stood out in the parking lot for nearly an hour after closing and wrapped big warm quilts of memory around each other, listening, sharing, laughing and learning history of our childhoods from each other  that left my heart full and over flowing.

I'm telling you, people, there is nothing like having a life-long history with folks. You see a white headed man stand and talk about stealing milk off Miz So and So's porch and the other white headed man agreeing, sadly recalling how he was spanked hard for that. "Oh, me too, me too." the other one agrees, shaking his head just as sadly.

"Why in the world were ya'll stealing milk?" I asked, incredulously.

They both looked at me with disbelief that I didn't already know. "Meg," one of them explained about his sister, "Was giving us a tea party and we had to have milk."

Oh. They were around four or five years of age at the time.

For all fifty or so folks that came, thank you. For the love and joy you gave me, thank you.

Because for a few hours, I was transported back home, the home that was my childhood.

It just doesn't get any better than that.

No comments :

Post a Comment