Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Fear of Being Alone

If you've never had a recital or a speech to give or an award to win or a book signing, you may not know that fear of arriving and no one else arriving just for you.

I know, in reality, some of my friends and family are coming to the book signings. They called or messaged me to tell me so.

I'll never forget my first book signing. when I arrived,the book store owner told me not to feel badly if only four or five people showed up, that was the average for a book signing. I remember thinking, "What? Stay here two hours for four people? And sell one or two books? Why!??"

I wasn't being over confident or smug, I was being naive. Write and they will come...that's what I thought.

But I was also very blessed that day and had seventy something people show up, much to the delight of the bookstore folk.

Every book signing I've had has been wonderful. Whether 25 or 75 show up, it is such a joyful occasion. I get to see people I seldom see, and it's sorta like a party. Laughing, and talking and hugging and stuff. The only downside is my hand hurts very badly in the middle of the night.

The first book signing I had was very close to going to Heaven, I think. In the sense that there were buddies from first grade, work buddies I hadn't seen in fifteen years, people I went to church with way back when and then all the current people in my life. I was constantly saying, "Remember me talking about so and so?" And when they'd nod yes, I'd say, "Well, come meet them, they are right over here!"

What a delightful day!

I believe when we get to Heaven we'll see people from the dim past and recent past and be joyful in our reunions with them.

But back to my point: fear of being alone. If you can find it in your little ole hearts to come to one (or both, come to both!) of my book signings, I'd appreciate it more than you'll ever know. Buy one book, all three, some old ones or not even one if you just don't have the budget for it. Signing my guest book is free.

I'll even supply the pen!

No comments :

Post a Comment