Friday, November 9, 2012

No Pain, No Life

I've had the privilege of reading to the Middle School - all fifth graders, my audience be. I start reading at 8:15 and finish up by 9:30.

I thought the worst thing would be getting up at 6:00 a.m. after usually lounging in bed until eightish. Or maybe the PTSD I suffer every time I go in that building (it is my old high school). I knew I was reading in the rooms where I had Algebra, Geometry and Biology. (Kathi shudders) Those are the subjects that were not English Lit, language arts, Chorus, writing for the Bobcat's Den (newspaper), playing basketball, and other, much more important things I wanted to be doing in my life.

I was wrong. The worst is afterwards, when I have to lie abed, overcome with pain.

I hate my body. I have tried not to, but even the easiest, most simple things outside my routine of being extremely careful of how long I sit, stand, lie and walk, cause me to suffer. I never know how badly I will be punished, and try to assume it won't be too bad 'this time'.

The first day, after holding the book up to read aloud (it weighs a few ounces) for twenty minutes, then twenty minutes again, I was wracked with muscle spasms in my neck and shoulders so badly I was incapacitated the rest of the day. My back, legs, and feet were an inflamed mess.

The next time, I propped the book up, and avoided most the upper body pain.

So, why do I do it?

I'll tell you the same thing I tell my mother when she preaches I mustn't do so much - which, people, for the average you, is about 1/3 of a normal day:

Because I have to have a life. I really enjoyed reading to those kids. I am a social person, at least a lot of the time. I enjoy entertaining....reading, talking, singing to a group.

Okay, I admit it: I am a ham!

If I can't get out and "do a little", I miss out. A lot.

So, no pain, no life. I have pain all the time anyway, so, what the heck.

I read again Monday. And I'm looking forward to it.

No comments :

Post a Comment