Sunday, November 4, 2012

Out on a Limb of the Family Tree

That's the title of a new book I have coming out.

I started writing this book in 1997. I thought it was just another short story (at that time, I'd never written a book). That 'short story' is the prologue to the book.

I love humor, almost all kinds, which maybe makes me a real sicko, I don't know.

But when I started writing this story, it had a humorous tone. Then, a few years ago, I got the bright idea of asking people for 'blonde moment' stories about themselves. You would NOT believe the stuff some people told me! I mean, really! But there were some I could actually, you know, write down without dying of embarrassment, and those I used.

That worked pretty well, so I began to ask people for stories from their families that touch them in some way. Humorous, poignant, haunting, profound. And I got a dozen or so really, really good ones. They gave me permission to 'wrap them up in fiction' and use them. Some are just a line or two, some a complete story. What a blessing!

I've been collecting old fashioned names for over ten years and that has been really fun. It's unbelievable what folks name their children. And I don't mean Dweezle and Apple and all the 'new fangle' foolishness. I mean the Victorian weirdness that was - well - weird.

And, of course, names come and go, too. So I used some out of fashion names that we don't hear much anymore.

I've already had one strange experience with a name that I 'made up' and a person saw it on the back of the book and told me that was his great-great-grandmother's name. And I don't even know this guy!

Fact, is indeed, stranger than fiction.

So, I hope you find it in your heart and pockets to purchase this book. Missouri Pickett is the matriarch of this Appalachian family from Sweeetapple, Georgia. Join her and her crazy family for stories that I hope will make you laugh yourselves silly.
BOOK SIGNINGS: November 16, Yawn's Books and More, Canton, Georgia from 5:30 to 7:30 pm AND November 17, Gilmer County Library, Ellijay, Georgia from 3:00 to 5:00 pm

No comments :

Post a Comment