Tuesday, January 19, 2016

GREAT!

Daughter is still a single gal, so I have no grandchildren to brag about. As far as I can tell, that is what grandchildren are for.

My nephew, however; (my first, practice child) has two children, a boy and a girl. I call them my greats, as they are. My great-nephew and great-niece. Plus, they are pretty great, period.

I thought this was rather clever, until I started thinking back.

The few aunts and uncles I had, for some reason, were addressed by their first names only. 

The folks I called aunt: Aint Mindy, Aint Minnie, Aint Hattie and so forth were really my grandparent's aunts (uncles, too, but not so many, as the women outlived the men).

So these ladies were oldern dirt. All of them were little old women with buns, glasses, thick cotton stockings, long cotton print dresses, black lace up shoes and canes. My great-aunts. (great-great, but go with me here, okay?)

I am now a great-aunt.

I froze in fear. I looked in the  mirror. No bun. No cane (yet.) No long cotton dresses. Glasses? check. And I'd kill for some thick cotton stockings about right now, it's very cold.

But...

You don't think I'm old do you? I mean as in great-aunt old.

Then I saw where a woman my age - we went to school together - had just become a great-grandmother. 

Granted, she married after eighth grade, I think. Musta started having younguns right away, and her children musta had kids young, and then their children must have started young.

At least that's what I keep telling myself.

Meanwhile, I thought I better blog today, as tomorrow I may be too old to even get to this new fangled machine, much less remember how to turn it on.

Who knows?

Goes back to the mirror to look one more time before it gets too dark to see.

No comments :

Post a Comment