Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Givers

There have a been a few occasions in my life where I have been stunned by a giver.

It was not the monetary value of what they gave me.

It was the way they gave me a gift.

Three come to mind immediately.

One: At work one day, one of the women I supervised had on a shirt which was a pretty shade of peach. I loved the way the sleeves were made, too. I bragged on her, telling her how much I loved the top and how good it looked on her.

A few days later, she brought me the shirt, all clean and pressed, as a gift. She said the more she thought about it, the more she was convinced that the top would look really good with  my complexion, and she wanted me to have it.  I still wear that shirt today.

Two: Years later, one of the women at work had on a pair of very unusual and beautiful earrings. I once again complimented a co-worker, and told her how beautiful I thought they were. The next day she brought them to me, saying she had thought about it, and since I didn't have pierced ears, and these were clip on, I'd get far more use out of them than she. I still wear those earrings to this day.

Three: A third co-worker visited my house briefly. She had gone shopping and showed me some of the things she had purchased, including an oval box that could hold a photograph inside the lid.
She used the bathroom just before she left. The next day at work, she gave me this beautiful box, saying she noticed that it would exactly match a tiny clock and picture frame I had setting on the console there. She felt compelled to give it to me. It holds a picture of my mother, age five or so in it, to this day, perfectly matching the things it sets among.

If I think much longer, I know I will think of others who have done this for me - like my second grade teacher who let me pick out a book off her book shelf because she was retiring. It meant so much to a seven year old to get a big book from a beloved teacher.

 Or my friend presenting me with an apron she'd seen and just knew it had Blue Willow dishes printed all over it - it didn't - but if you think I was disappointed for one minute, you would be wrong. There are many  more....

I thought of this because Daughter found some candy we have been looking for for two years. I'm sure she did the happy dance in the aisle at Target, and I surely did in the kitchen when she presented the bag with a flourish.

I will share a few with the friend of the earrings gift, but only a few because she's gone and got herself the diabetes. But it is one of her favorite flavors, and I can't resist giving her a few.

These three woman in my past in the stories, as well as others, make me want to be a better person, and I thank them: Myrna, Myra and Connie, Mrs. Hudson, Janice.

From the bottom of my heart.

No comments :

Post a Comment