Monday, September 16, 2013

Roy Rogers, King of the Cowboys

Last year when I read to all the fifth graders in the universe (okay, Gilmer county, but you try it), I read a short story out of the book I wrote, 'The Christmas Closet and Other Works", called "The Christmas Closet". This story is about a little boy in the early sixties who adores Roy Rogers.

Now, before I could read the story, I had to make sure the kids knew who Roy Rogers was.

They did not.

One teacher did not know.

Just shoot me now.

Anyway, Husband decided I should read a book written by Roy and his wife, Dale Evans (Queen of the West).

Usually I poo-poo whatever Husband wants me to read because our tastes are very different, but I wanted to at least take a gander at this book.

It was published in 1979 and was very interesting. I learned things I never knew, including the sorrow of the couple losing three children during their lives.

It was not the first marriage for either of them, Roy being a widow with three children and Dale being divorced twice, with one son.

I knew there were lots of movies (a hundred) a TV show, a restaurant, and every possible marketable thing a child could possibly dream of  having. the "Roy Rogers Lunch Box" was the first lunch box for children.

I learned that Dale Evans wrote many of the songs they sang and recorded, including Happy Trails To You. If you've never heard this song, you need to hear it.

Roy had a love for children and often visited orphanages and children's hospitals.

Five of their children were adopted.

the only biological child they had together died just before her second birthday. Dale had contracted German Measles in her fourth month of pregnancy and the baby was a "Mongoloid" child, with severe heart deformities.

Another daughter was killed in a bus accident.

A son died from being dared to drink while in the service in Germany and died from complications of being extremely intoxicated, when  he had never even had alcohol before.

They both came to know God during their marriage, and developed a very deep abiding faith. They loved each other and from the way they wrote this book, it is obvious they both had very well developed senses of humor.

Trigger (Roy's horse) was a member of the family, and they had many other animals that surrounded their lives.

And so, like most of us, Roy and Dale had ups and downs in their lives. Roy died in 1998, Dale passed away in 2001. They were good, kind people, and they live on in many, many hearts.

I want to thank them someday for the joy they brought to my childhood. I believe I will have that opportunity. Until then, Happy Trails.

No comments :

Post a Comment