Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Books A Zillion

I have read somewhere around a bajillion books in my lifetime.

I know you may find that number hard to comprehend. I, myself, who have reached such a number, find it hard to grasp.

My family, on the other hand, would probably tell you it's more than that.

I love fiction.

The only time I read non-fiction is when I'm researching something for a book I'm writing, working on teaching a Bible study lesson, or can't find anything else.

Because, you see, dear reader, I am a bookaholic.

I'm no fool. I know this: I CANNOT stop any time I want to.

Not that I would ever want to.

You remember the Y2K scare?

The first fear I had? Starving? Nope. Freezing in the winter? Nope. Outdoor toilets? Nope. (that was second).

Not having enough books was number one on my list.

I figured I could read the hundreds I have at home over again. Then I could figure out a way to get to the library, break in if necessary, and cart away as much as I could haul in a wagon or something.

I am not kidding.

The only time in my life I have stopped reading for any length of time was after my back surgery.  I had falsely believed that I would be lying around a lot so I could read a lot.

Oh, ha.

I was lying around all right. In agony. I couldn't read anything. It was a terrible time.

But that, like everything else, passed.

Right now? I'm reading what I call a "filler". I don't have anything exciting at the moment. I'm waiting on a library book.

I have a big basket of books that folks have loaned me. They are paperbacks, and not something anyone is in  a hurry to get back. Sometimes I start one, shake my head slowly in sadness and wonder how the heck that slop got published and close it quickly.

But sometimes these books turn out to be pretty good.

I know a friend or another friend, somebody, will come through soon and call me excitedly and tell me about this book I just have to read.

And I will eagerly obtain it as quickly as possible and read it.

Which reminds me: if you have a great book, let me know. I'm always looking forward to reading something I know someone else has enjoyed. If I don't like it, well, I know how to close the cover.

Speaking of closing, I'll close for now, I'm in the middle of a chapter of a filler.

And this filler happens to be pretty good.

Happy reading, world!

No comments :

Post a Comment