Saturday, September 28, 2013

Home Sweet Home

A few days ago someone knocked on the door. It was a tiny, middle-aged Chinese lady. She barely spoke English, and she was all by herself.

We finally pieced together that she was trying to find downtown.

Boy, was she a little off the beaten path!

Husband finally got in the car and she followed him back to town, because trying to give her directions...well.

This isn't the first time we have had strangers knock on our door because they are lost, or their car has broken down, or they "just love our house!"

It is the first time, I have to say, someone from China has come a-knocking.

There are many houses in our settlement now, but I venture to say we get the  most of the knocks. I think it's because they see our house and think, "That's a safe place. I can ask them."

I'm told over and over how our house feels like home, and people say they want to stay when they come!

What a compliment!

One reason, I think, is it looks like "grandma's house":
 And while most folks don't choose to build this style house, it does seem to make folks smile.
 
One of my prayers is for our house to have the spirit of hospitality. I believe God wants us to have a home where people are welcome with open arms.
 
So,if you get lost, come see me. We don't do directions very well. But if we know where you are trying to go, we'll try to take you there!
 
 
 
 
 

No comments :

Post a Comment