Thursday, July 11, 2013

This, That and the Other

Daughter thinks I'm a little nuts because I talk to the tomatoes in our garden. You see, they are all big and green. There hasn't been enough sun to turn them red, and I'm worried they are going to rot or fall off the vine. I just told them to hang on, that the next two days are supposed to be sunny and that's what they  need.

What's wrong with giving a little encouragement to our maters?

Last night we were trying to round up Lily, our geriatric cat. All four legged (well, all two legged for that matter) sleep upstairs.

Husband usually shoos Lily up. She trots up the stairs, I talk sweet and open the door for her, and in she comes. But he couldn't find her. He asked me did I see her. I said, "No, but I hear her."

Husband said no, that was him making a noise, and he'd go back to the sun room and look again.

I was a little distracted because Molly, our dog, was lying in the foyer, not moving. Her eyes were open, she wasn't blinking at all,and I couldn't see if she was breathing. I sweet talked her, I whistled, I called her in a stern voice, and nothing worked. I thought she was dead for sure, because she's really old and has a lot of health problems.

Meanwhile, Husband said he gave up, Lily must be hiding. So I tried the last thing, It's the last I do, because we have not one cat who comes to "Kitty, kitty".

But I did it anyway. Molly, the dog, raised her head and looked at me. I truly think she has species identity issues.

Well, at least I found out she wasn't dead.

So, I open the bedroom door, and there Lily is, behind me, in her new little bed, a canvas bag she has fallen in love with. I said, "How in the world did you get in here?"

And I promise you, as Scarlet O'Hara is my witness, the cat looked up and winked at me.

We live in a madhouse.

(Now, I know at this point you are beginning to envy my life. Stop it right now. That's wrong to do, and  you  know it.)

The last thing is one of those weird experiences you have that has no explanation. I was calling someone and as the voice mail picked up and said, "You have reached this number," I realized I had dialed the wrong number so I hung up. As I started to dial the correct number, my phone started ringing, and it was the wrong number person calling I had just hung up from. I figured I owed the person an explanation, so I answered.

The guy asked, "Is this -" and he said the name of the place I retired from after thirty-one years of service almost ten years ago.

I was speechless. I mean, what are the odds?

I told him no, and he said, "Well, then who is this calling my cell phone number?"

I explained it was a wrong number and I apologized.

I also got goosebumps.

I've spent all day at a friends, then all evening at a meeting. So, I have to go to bed now.

Ponder on without me. But please, don't envy me.

Good-night.

No comments :

Post a Comment