Friday, July 19, 2013

The Nose Knows, No?

I cooked dinner today. (please, hold the applause.)

I had decided on bar-b-cue chicken. Now, I mix my sauce up with whatever strikes my fancy, and, although it is never the same, I'll have to say it's never turned down by my family.

So I was rummaging in the fridge for whatever, and saw one of those little plastic cups you get when you eat take-out food at home.

Looked like bar-b-cue sauce, and I thought that would add some interest to whatever else I chose.

Fortunately for me, and for the rest of my family, when I took off the lid I smelled of it.

It was a very dark chocolate sauce.

Now, I love chocolate as much as the next person, but I'm not sure the world (or at least my house) is ready for chocolate chicken.

But now that I've said that, it don't sound too bad! Hey! Won't the fair be here in a few weeks? Don't they sell fried Twinkies and crap like that? What better for the main meal than chicken (fried, of course) with a warm chocolate sauce poured over it? You could use chocolate gravy to go on the mashed taters.

I have actually seen a recipe for chocolate gravy. You eat it over biscuits, I reckon.

The importance of smell is pretty big in the kitchen. My eye couldn't tell the difference between a rich, dark tomato based sauce and a rich, dark, chocolate sauce. But, boy, my nose could.

I've looked at meat, and it's looked okay, but when I smelled of it....urk.

I've looked at exotic food and  thought it looked okay, but when I smelled of it...double urk.

Our  noses are pretty good. To breathe fresh mountain air, a baby's skin, the pages of a new book, the first rose of summer....

They save our lives sometimes, too. Smoke, poisonous fumes. I think danger has a smell all of it's own, sometimes.

Anyway, between Daughter and myself, we  had fine chicken along with a yummy squash casserole, mashed taters, crowder peas, salad and rolls.

I'd invite you for leftovers, but there weren't any.

No comments :

Post a Comment