Friday, July 12, 2013

Back in the Saddle Again

After thirty-one days of not getting to go on my walks each morning, I was dreading excited to get back and walk like it was exercise.

You can tell when it is just exercise and not walking, because you aren't really going anywhere, and you wind up where you started without bags of purchases or library books or something to show for your walk.

At least where I walk is a beautiful place. It's right by the river, and today we saw a Great Blue Heron. It didn't seem to mind our presence, but finally got a little antsy and carefully picked up it's skinny little legs and moved carefully to the other side of the river. It had been standing on a dead tree, probably looking for fish. I tried to take a picture, but I only had my phone which is old and really just a phone, the pictures it takes ain't nothing to brag about.

Other than the bird, the highlight of the walk was Husband's straw hat blew off his head and floated down the river.

We saw a deer on the way there and three on the way back.

They were regular deer, not the Black Tailed loner deer I have in my yard. She's either on vacation from South Georgia or someone set her out. Husband says when rutting season starts the bucks won't care. I guess he's right.

Last evening Daughter and I were returning home and saw about six deer on the side of the road, grazing. The two closest to us were bucks, very young, their someday racks only four inch velvet stubs.

On the way to exercise walk, I also saw a grouse, a beautiful bird. It was so large, I at first thought it was a turkey hen, but I realized it didn't look "right". Husband said it was a grouse, so I looked up images, and sure enough, it was a Blue Grouse.

Today is the day for large, blue birds.

My sister-in-law and her husband are in  Africa right now (Hey ya'll!). He reports on, and shows pictures of wild beasts and unusual, beautiful wildlife.

But I have concluded: you don't really have to go much past your own backyard to see amazingly new stuff every single day.

I just need to carry my camera more often, like my kin in Africa does.

God's creatures are everywhere. I'm glad. It's makes my exercise  walk more pleasant.

Man, I have got to start believing it's fun again...

No comments :

Post a Comment