Monday, November 7, 2016

Surprise, Surprise!

There ain't much to be said for a November where my plants are still sitting on the front and back porch, acting like it's summertime (except for the caladiums; they did what they always do, which is die in pitiful suffering every first of October). 

I am six- (cough, cough, choke) excuse me! - years old, and I have never, ever left plants out past late October because they'd be killed.

I keep saying we have to get them in, then I listen to the weather report, and know another day or two or three won't hurt.


But there are a few good things.

First, the warm weather has allowed our tomatoes to keep on ripening. We (Husband) planted way too late, and I just knew all those tomatoes on the vine would die.

Not so. We have four or five on the kitchen counter and at least four more on the vines beginning to ripen. This is something else that has never happened in all my six-(cough, cough, choke) my allergies! - years.

And here is the other thing.  A few days ago I was sitting at the computer in the studio, just like I'm doing now. It was a tad bit later in the day, almost dusk. It was very warm. I had the ceiling fan on and the door wide open.

I heard something walking my way through the leaves, snuffling and snorting and grunting. I thought it was our bulldog. She has to check on me at least once while I'm out here; bugging Husband till he brings her.

I glanced sideways at the door and instead of seeing my dog, I saw the large rear end of a deer. Now, I knew it had to be a buck because of the size. I wanted badly to see him, so I slowly got up and paced my steps with the click click of the overhead fan. I reached the door and an eight point deer stared back at me.

Lord, he was beautiful, and big. His back would have reached my waist, and I'm five ft. eight inches tall. 

We stared at each other for maybe four seconds and then he lifted that white tail  and bounded off into the woods. I hollered after him, "You are so handsome!"

I let him live, he let me live. It's all good.

Still, you know? I'd rather get a little cold weather going - fire in the fireplace, fleece, flannel, wool, quilts.

Ain't it 'bout time, Mother Nature?

No comments :

Post a Comment