Saturday, October 1, 2016

Texas Week

My cousins who visited for a week, weren't born or completely raised in Texas. Their daddy got transferred when they were up pretty big kids, but that's where they attended high school and finished being raised and settled.

They don't wear cowboy hats or boots (at least not in the summer), but they are proud of their state.

We had a good week, reminiscing, eating, laughing and going over photographs that they brought with them of our grandmother's side of the family. For many of the pictures, none of us could identify anyone in them.

That  made me sad. Did folks think that in over  a hundred years their ancestors would know them? Surely not. It would have been nice if they, or the generation that came after them, had labeled them.

Texas Cousin's mother had labeled some of them before her death, and had made a list (which I forgot to scan) of births and deaths of folks.

I scanned some of  the photos in my computer, and will finish that task soon. I suppose  the ones I don't know I'll just file under the family name.

If you are a picture taker, please identify your subject. Even if it's a pretty  tree. "Taken in great-aunt Joan Doe's back yard." It will mean something to folks on down the road of time.

It really will.

No comments :

Post a Comment