Friday, July 3, 2015

Out of Staters Once Again

So, today I had brunch with cousins I had not seen in many years. They live in Ohio. 

There's a pattern here. Texas, Indiana, Alabama and now Ohio. 

Pretty impressive, especially since I ain't living on the beach or something.

These are my second cousins and their brood. I had not seen one since 1987, when my grandmother (her great-grandmother) died. None of us could determine the last time we'd seen her brother.

So, Brother Of Many Surgeries, Other Brother, Daughter and myself gathered with the eight of them this morning and spent a few hours laughing and getting tearful down memory lane.

But why now? Why this year? It seems interesting to me that suddenly I am seeing folks for the first time in over twenty years from all over the United States.

That's a stretch, I guess, but it feels that way. I am bedazzled and befuddled.

And wished I was a dozen pounds lighter, if I take a minute to be vain.

I'm not sure any of us have seen each other clearly, anyway. 

We are looking through glasses colored with childhood memories.

No comments :

Post a Comment