Tuesday, January 13, 2015

A History Lesson....Sorta

When Husband and I were still newlyweds, and by that I mean within the first two years of our marriage; we rented a little house in town while we saved up money for land on which to build, and buy furniture like crazy people for the new house.

Nephew was but a lad of three years when this particular history lesson begins.

Husband was involved in a 'don't do drugs' education program for primary students, and he rotated turns wearing CHUG. It's been many years, and I don't remember what C.H.U.G. stood for, I'm sure it was well thought out acronym and paid for with big bucks by the state.

Chug, the animal costume, was part frog and part some-other-amphibian. It was in two pieces, the head and the zip-up-the-back body (with feet!). When Husband put on the costume, he stood well over six feet.

We, not being parents yet, thought Nephew would love Chug.

May I take a moment to say: Oops.

Anyway, Husband made some lame excuse about having to go outside for a few minutes while Nephew visited, and then in a moment or so, knocked on the front door as Chug.

I greeted Chug warmly, with surprise and delight. Nephew, who was small for his age anyway, gaped open mouthed, and hid behind me.

I tried to engage the two. Chug was charming. Nephew was not convinced. He finally did speak to Chug, however. He picked up our car keys and tried to get Chug to take them, saying (in his tiny little voice) "Here, Chug, take David's car."

Chug left, somewhat dejected. Husband returned shortly, and I delightedly told him of Chug's visit and Husband returned as how sorry he was he missed it.

Nephew looked at us like we were crazy, obviously thinking he had barely escaped with his life.

So, anyway, late that night, when Husband and I were alone with our honeymoon selves in our old, cold house, we talked about it and vowed we'd make it up to Nephew, somehow.

Then Husband went to get ready for bed, as I had already had my turn. I dressed warmly in my flannel nightgown (honeymoon phase or not, the house was dang cold) and settled in to read the newspaper.

But then, I was overcome. I couldn't resist it. I couldn't help myself.

I gave Husband the biggest fright of his life. He came strolling in, took one glance, screamed like a girl, jumped a foot and then got the camera.

I was a looker, all right. Observe the maincure.

Imagine what I'm willing to do now that the honeymoon is over.

No comments :

Post a Comment