Thursday, December 18, 2014

Thinking Back...

I have a blouse that is at least thirty-one years old.

I still wear clothes that are older than Daughter.

So, sue me. As long as they don't have holes in them, and I still like them; I don't really care if they are "out of style". If I'm going to spend money, I want to spend it on house stuff, if it's for me.

Anyway, I actually wore this blouse the other Sunday under a Christmas vest. The blouse is made from the green and red plaid cloth that everyone is familiar with. It has a high collar and a bit of ruffle down the placket in front.

The reason I smile every time I see this blouse is because of this little story:

Husband and I had been friends for a while. After my horrific divorce, he called me a few weeks later to say he was sorry. Someone from our work had called him to tell him about it. (He was living in a different town). We talked a couple of times, even went to the mall and got muffins.

But our first "real" date was to the movies.

I wore that blouse because it was close to the Christmas season. I put on a pair of my good jeans and waited for him to arrive.

He knocked on the door, I threw it open, and there he stood.

In a button down shirt, made from exactly the same green and red plaid cloth my blouse was. He had on his good jeans, too.

We stared at each other for a moment, then burst out laughing.

Deciding what the heck, we went dressed just alike, calling ourselves the Bobbsey Twins. (If you don't know who they are, you are too young to be able to read).

Of course, his brother-in-law and nephew were there. I'd never met any of his family. I wonder what they thought about our attire...

His shirt is long gone. I think he outgrew it.

But you know what?

I think I'll wear that blouse every Christmas season until I can no longer fit in it, or it just plain wears out.

Memories are a good thing, no?

No comments :

Post a Comment