Saturday, January 4, 2014

It Sounds Like You

I have, more than once, had folks tell me they have read a book that reminds them of me, or of one of my books.

I always take that as a compliment, because I figure if it was an insult most people would just keep their mouth shut.

But today, one of my dear friends shared a book title with me. She said she kept thinking of me while she read it, and then went as far as to say, "It felt like you could have written this book."

Hmmm.

Guess what book I ordered as quickly as my little fingers would type?

You bet.

I mean, don't you wonder how folks see you? Especially people you love and respect?

I have people say, "Your daughter is just like you." And that is always a compliment. (Even though it isn't true, she is very much her own person, but even I see similarities that strike me to the core sometimes).

And, of course, people tell me I am just like my mother, and I ain't. But I have similarities there, too. In fact I see Daughter and Mother with likenesses all the time. After all, Mother 'half-raised' Daughter while I was at work.

And this book I am about to finish writing? Well, I know folks, and folks are going to see themselves in this book. The folks that were raised with me, went to school and church with me, and family, of course. Even though I am going to caution people that although I did use the framework of my childhood, I in no way tried to represent anyone as they really were.

What you wanna bet that will be ignored.

We'll see. Sometime this year.

We'll see.

No comments :

Post a Comment