Thursday, January 16, 2014

Banking Business

Husband is suffering from a nervous condition this afternoon.

He took Mother to the bank today.

All she wanted was to go through the drive-thru and get some cash out of her checking account.

Husband said he was suddenly the middle man between modern banking rules and an unsocialized pit bulldog.

What first set her off was they asked for her I.D.

Husband said it was a very young, obviously new girl at the window.

When she received Mother's I.D. she pointed out that it had expired in 2011, and she needed to get it updated before they would give her cash out of her checking account.

Oh, boy.

Two guesses about what hit the fan.

My mother (she informed them) was one of the very first customers when that bank opened. The business she managed helped get that bank off the ground.

How dare they even ask for an I.D. to start with. And besides, it cost her $10.00 to get that I.D. and she ain't paying another $10.00 for a new one. 

Ever.

The poor girl left the window and got two other employee's to come and deal with the situation. At least one of them was an "old timer' (I graduated high school with the geezer) at the bank, and said it was all right to give her the cash.

The young girl apologized to Mother, saying "I'm just a little person here, I have to follow the rules."

To which  my het up Mother replied, "Well they need to get a bigger person at the window."

She wanted to go in the bank, but Husband talked her out of that, telling her it would be faster to stay in the car.

She railed about the people there, how it used to be everyone knew her and now - NOW - they even had people working in there from Jasper!

Then Mother was sure she'd somehow lost the I.D. she did have. Husband tried to reassure her the bank still had it, but she took everything (a lot) out of her wallet searching for it, couldn't find it, and dumped it all in Husband's lap.

The girl brought the I.D. back and gave it to them along with the cash.

You see, Mother thinks she should be able to go in and everyone know her like they did thirty years ago. Or before, when they knew her, her mama and daddy and their mamas and daddies, for that matter.

And I understand that. I'm still amazed/appalled when I go into a restaurant and might know one or two people there.

Where do all these people come from?

Jasper?




No comments :

Post a Comment