Saturday, July 16, 2016

It's Been a Long Time Since Ding Dong School

I was cooking dinner and Husband was helping. He was to get the sweet potatoes out of the vegetable bin. He came back with two that had lots of stems growing from their eyes. 

He asked if he could put one in water and grow a 'sweet potater vine'.

I said, "Don't you just cut off one of the thingies and put that in water? Why waste a whole potato?"

We didn't know. We couldn't remember.

It's been a long time since Ding Dong School.

I have very vague memories of it. I looked it up, and it ran from 1952 to 1956, which means I was two years old when it went off the air. 

And something else: I remember Miss Frances as being a young, dark headed, slender woman. 

The one I saw on youtube is a matronly, grey headed woman. So, who the heck am I thinking about? (Husband later says I'm thinking of the woman from Romper Room. Oh.)

The only other thing I remember about Ding Dong School was her showing us how to grow a sweet potato vine in the kitchen window; which, with the help of Mother, I did.

I think there was even a children's book about it, and I owned it. * added: (There was, I looked it up.)

OH LOOK! THE BOOK!


That's why I told Husband to look up Ding Dong School and find out the right way to do it.

I wonder if he will, or he'll just cave and eat the tater.

Time will tell.

No comments :

Post a Comment