Wednesday, May 4, 2016

How Do You Do It?

A few years ago, (I don't know how many. I'm at the point it feels like it was two years ago, whether it was two or fifteen. Other than my childhood, I'm done with accuracy as far as year of events)
I was invited to a James Taylor and Carol King concert. 

My friend invited a half dozen of us, all the same age (we graduated high school together). He fed us a wonderful meal, the concert was about five minutes from his house, and I stayed over as did another friend so we didn't have the long drive home late at night.

Talking to my mother later, she was worried until Husband called to tell her I had a great time and was headed home. 

The reason she was worried was because one of her friends saw on the news there was a big fight in the parking lot of a concert in Atlanta that night with several people hurt and one killed.

Was that the concert I attended? Did I know anything about it?

I told her I didn't know anything about the fight, but could assure her it wasn't at the concert I attended. "Mother, it was baby boomers in BMW's and Mercedes Benz. They wouldn't have dared fight, it might have scuffed their docksiders or torn their polo shirts." 

That story brings to mind something I continue to struggle with. That struggle consists of being the mother of an adult child. How do you do it?

How do you leave behind the infant that couldn't even raise their head? The toddler, that if not watched every single moment would have: a. fallen down the stairs breaking their neck b. fallen up the stairs knocking out their new baby teeth or c. swallowed either poison or dog food. How do you leave behind the preschooler who thought you knew what they dreamt about if you were in the dream? Or the kid who couldn't get well for a while and you just about lost your mind? Or the teenager who still stayed close and obeyed your every command? (okay, okay, I exaggerated there a little).

How do you do it?

How do you keep your mouth shut? How do you not fret as if they were still a little kid?


I saw a sign yesterday that said, "When  your children are little you talk to them about Jesus, and when  your children are grown you talk to Jesus about them."

Amen.

No comments :

Post a Comment