Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Sad and Sad Some More

So, a rare, silver back gorilla is dead and a little boy is probably scared for life. At least, I know I would be. 

As many of you know, I had a close encounter of the sorta first kind with a silver back who happened to be Willie B.'s son. I'm telling you, it was love at first sight.

I have  nostalgic feelings for Willie B., whom I visited every day for about a week when I was 8 or 9 years old. He was in a glass cage with a TV mounted up on the wall and a tire swing.

After day two, when he saw me, he would stop what he was doing and come sit by the wall/window and watch me. 

And I'd watch him.

I'd talk to him, some, too, if nobody else was around.

I've kept that in my heart all my life. Then a few years ago, got to visit the compound where his son was residing at the time.

The compound owner heard my story when I contacted them for a date for a visit. 

The gorilla was waiting on us at a window when we drove up. He looked totally bored, his head leaned up against his hand. He was there because he knew visitors meant food.

She talked about him, and brought out fresh fruit. Then, with a twinkle in her eye, looked at me and asked, "You wouldn't want to feed him, would you?"

I said something profound, like, "Boy, would I!" which made the small crowd of folks laugh.

She made me put on one of those tight fitting gloves so I wouldn't give the gorilla some dread disease. I scooped up some melon and slowly put my hand at the window bars. 

He looked me in the eye, then looked down at the fruit. Gently, his big old fingers picked the fruit from my hand, then he ate it, rather thoughtfully, I imagined.

We stayed as long as we possibly could that day, a day I will never forget.

I was heart broken over the news that a child had got down there with that  kind of big old beast. 

I was sadder still when I learned they had to kill the  male gorilla.

But I am beyond sad thinking about the terror that little boy went through while he was drug around the compound. That's a day he will never forget, but not with the same kind of emotions I was given to remember.

I pray someone can help this child work through the terror.

He's gonna need all the help he can get.

1 comment :

  1. I agree with you, Kathi. How could he not be traumatized? And I'll bet his Mom will never take her eyes off him again.

    ReplyDelete