Thursday, September 24, 2015

Zzzzzzipcode

As I mentioned earlier, our newspaper is featuring a page of articles written many years ago.

They are now up to the year 1964, and mentioned that zip codes were being implemented.

Boy, did that bring back memories!

I was 9 or 10 and I remember being so excited! (I have no idea why, looking back..)

I remember adults grumbling that it was just one more thing to keep up with, one more number to memorize (little did they know!)

I also remember them raising Cain over having to dial an extra number on the phone when the telephone company implemented a rule that one must dial a 5 before the other 4 digits. (little did they know, again!)

I began practicing the zip code numbers over and over until I was sure I knew them by heart.

I saw it as the ever expanding world I lived in, a part of growing up.

The adults saw it as an aggravation.

I think I am beginning to understand their side of the whole thing.

No comments :

Post a Comment